International Space Design Award—Idea-Tops, which is supported by related government departments, was initiated by China Interior Design Website—the first portal among the architectural and interior design industry in China, together with three academic institutions: Academy of Arts & Design, Tsinghua University, China Central Academy of Fine Arts and Tianjin Academy of Fine Arts. Idea-Tops aims to create the most thoughtful and influential space design award, discover and praise the best designers and design works around the world.
With the principles of being professional, rigorous, impartial and fair, Idea-Tops not only attracted architects and interior designers from 35 countries and regions, including UK, USA, France, Italy, Germany, Greece, Sweden, Portugal, Israel, South Korea, Japan, etc., but enabled a group of thoughtful and potential designers or design enterprises grow up quickly! It's the most influential, internationalized and authoritative design award in China.
Each year Idea-Tops organizes grand tours to promote its winners to the world. Idea-Tops has held launch ceremonies and design forums in more than 30 cities worldwide, with footprints covering mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, USA, Greece, Italy, Australia, Dubai and other key cities, showing to the world the designers' forward-looking ideas of innovation and inexhaustible wisdom, meanwhile, promoting international exchange and cooperation in design.
Lots of masters participated in Idea-Tops, including Aaron Betsky (director of Venice Biennale of Architecture in 2008, and dean of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture), Graeme Scannell (design director of Gensler—one of the world's top three design studios), Mark Hemel (designer of Guangzhou Tower—China's tallest Tower), Robert J.Gdowski (design principal of BBG-BBGM—one of the world's top five hotel design companies), Rodger Dalling (global director of Woods Bagot—the international renowned architecture firm which has a history of more than one hundred years), Ross Hunter (designer of No.10 Downing Street and BBC Scotland headquarters), Martin Hawthornthwaite (chief designer of Hilton Hotels Corporation), Mike Atkin (Asia-Pacific principal designer of Manchester United Football Club), Massimiliano and Doriana Fuksas (designers of Shenzhen T3 Airport), Jean Nouvel (winner of 2008 Pritzker Architecture Prize, famous contemporary architect in French), etc.
In 2015, 11 Pavilions of EXPO Milano 2015 competed in Idea-Tops, including design teams of China Pavilion, Italy Pavilion, Chile Pavilion, Austria Pavilion, etc., making Idea-Tops a fierce competition for top designs in different countries.
In China, over two-thirds of real estate developers will choose Idea-Tops awardees as preferred partners, more and more high-end project investors, business groups and hotel groups connect with Idea-Tops Organizing Committee to seek cooperation with top designers or design institutions. In 2015, CMD (China-Middle East Development Group) commissioned the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee to recommend a winner of Idea-Tops to design the 151st floor of the world's tallest building Burj Dubai, and finally entrusted Mr. Hong Zhongxuan to take charge of the project, this entrustment established a new foundation for Chinese design force to expand international high-end market. Being authoritative, professional and fair is one of the important reasons that made Idea-Tops successfully, and the award-winning designers represent the highest level in today's interior design field.
Idea-Tops is an important award which praises outstanding talents in the architectural and interior design field, getting its recognition is a global announcement of designers' great honor.
Idea-Tops International Design Forum was established by Idea-Tops Organizing Committee, well-known professors and academic leaders from 22 top universities in the world, including Harvard, Yale, Cambridge, Princeton, MIT, Tsinghua University and Peking University. Zheng Shiling (Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences) serves as chairman of Idea-Tops International Design Forum, Lu Xiaobo (President of Academy of Arts & Design, Tsinghua University) serves as vice chairman, and Liu Yu-Tung (Doctor of Design at Harvard University, Vice President of Asia University, Taiwan) serves as vice chairman and executive chairman. On December 2nd, 2015, the first Idea-Tops International Design Forum was held with the theme of "Design Exploration in the 21st Century". The establishment of Idea-Tops International Design Forum has provided strong academic support to Idea-Tops, and enabled Idea-Tops to promote cultural exchange and academic communication between Chinese and western design at a new academic level and with a higher international vision.
Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chairman of Idea-Tops International Design Forum, Doctoral Supervisor of Tongji University, Academician of Academie d'Architecture.
Doctor of Design, Harvard University, Vice President of Asia University, Taiwan, Vice Chairman and Executive Chairman of Idea-Tops International Design Forum, A professor founding Institute of Architecture, National Chiao Tung University.
Dean of Academy of Arts & Design, Tsinghua University, Vice Chairman of Idea-Tops International Design Forum.
Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture, Co-Director of Risk + Resilience Master of Design Studies in Harvard University Graduate School of Design.
Director of The Martin Centre for Architectural and Urban Studies in Faculty of Architecture, University of Cambridge, Fellow of Darwin College, Professor of Architecture and the Moving Image where he directs the Digital Studio for Research in Design, Visualization and Communication.
Associate Professor and Director of research in Sustainable Urban Development at University of Oxford, Member of the Latin American and Caribbean Panel at the British Academy.
Associate Dean at Princeton University School of Architecture, Principal of Lewis. Tsurumaki. Lewis (LTL) Architects in New York.
Dean and Professor of Architecture and Information Technology Department at the School of Architecture, University of Rome.
Professor of The Superior National School of Architecture Paris-Val-de-Seine and member of the scientific board. A specially-appointed professor at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan (HUST) and is responsible for the research and cultural cooperation with HUST.
A professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology whose research focuses on the representation and computation of architectural space and design knowledge.
Professor of Architecture at Yale University, Principal of New York based studio JSA.
Associate Professor in Architecture at the University of Tokyo, Co-Founder of the Advanced Design Studies Program.
Principal of College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture of Peking University, Doctor of Philosophy in Harvard University, Distinguished Professor in Cheung Kong Scholars Program by Ministry of Education.
Academician of Chinese Academy of Engineering, National architecture design master, Chief Architect of Shenzhen General Institute of Architectural Design and Research, Professor-level senior architect, National first-class registered architect.
Professor and Master tutor of Academy of Arts & Design, Tsinghua University.
Dean of Environment and Architecture Art College of Tianjin Academy of Fine Arts, Visiting Professor of University of Pécs, Senior Visiting Scholar of Brunel University and Northumbria University.
Principal of Architectural Design and Research Institute of Central Academy of Fine Arts Doctoral Supervisor of University of Pécs, Researcher of Faculty of Fine Arts of Chinese Design, Chinese National Academy of Arts.
Associate Professor and Director of Institute of Architecture, National Chiao Tung University, Master of Architecture and Master of Design at Harvard University.
Vice President of Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts, Chairman of Academic Committee of Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts, Doctoral Supervisor of College of Fine Arts of Shanghai University, Doctoral Supervisor of Macau University of Science and Technology.
Professor and Doctoral Supervisor of School of Architecture of South China University of Technology.
Director and Professor of Great Site Protection and Ancient Architecture (International) Research Center, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Chief Planner of Campus Planning and Construction Center of Xi'an Jiaotong University, National first-class registered architect.
Executive Vice-President, Professor and Doctoral Supervisor of School of Architecture, Harbin Institute of Technology.
Ye Qing assumes over 20 social posts including chairman of the board of Shenzhen Institute of Building Research Co., Ltd., deputy director of China Green Building Council, deputy director and secretary-general of China Eco-city Specialty Committee.
Chapter I. General Provision
Idea-Tops takes from the meaning of "top idea". It's positioning itself to be an international space design award which focuses on aspects of international, professional, authoritative and academic development.
Idea-Tops discovers and praises designers and design works which are creative in the space form, technology application, art performance and culture presentation. It aims to create the most thoughtful and influential design award in the world, and promote the development of design industry with the highest professional standard, strict professional responsibility and excellent professional communication.
Idea-Tops Organizing Committee designates professional cultural institution as the organizer of promotional activities and routines, while Idea-Tops divisions and cooperative promotion agencies as co-organizers.
Chapter II. Award Setting
1. Commercial Space Design
2. Cultural Space Design
3. Exhibition Space Design
4. Transportation Space Design
5. Office Design
6. Dining Space Design
7. Entertainment Space Design
8. Hotel Design
9. Club Design
10. Villa Design
11. Flat Design
12. Show Flat Design
13. Display Art Design
14. Lighting Environment Design
15. Public Architecture Design
16. Residential Architecture Design
17. Green Architecture Design
18. Digital Architecture Design
1. Nomination Award: 5 nominees each category, totally 90 nominees.
2. Best Design Award: 1 winner each category, totally 18 winners.
The organizers reserve the right to withhold awards not deemed to meet the required standard in any category.
Idea-Tops sets up divisions in different places of the world, the divisions select Shortlist Awards and Best Design Awards in its local areas. The regional winners' projects will be submitted to the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee and participate in the selection of Nomination Awards and Best Design Awards.
1. Quantity of the Shortlist Awards in the divisions should be no more than 30%.
2. There're 18 categories of Best Design Awards in the divisions, one winner will be selected for each category. The organizers reserve the right to withhold awards not deemed to meet the required standard in any category.
Chapter III. Participation
1. Idea-Tops is open to the global architecture and interior design community, and has no restrictions on ethnicity, religion, region or nationality.
2. Entries must be completed projects done in current year or last year. The submission must provide realistic photos. Besides, group work must mark the name of the chief designer.
March 8th to August 31st each year
1. Sign up at the official website of Idea-tops (www.idea-tops.com) or its media platform—China Interior Design Website (http://en.a963.com/). Please make sure the information is real and complete, so that the organizer is able to contact you.
2. Release works and submit materials. Competitors must provide:
1) The Application Form of International Space Design Award—Idea-Tops;
2) No less than 10pcs realistic photos per entry (JPG, TIF, PSD or CDR, the resolution should be at least 300 dpi);
3) Floor plan and other related drawings which can show the features of the entry;
4) Text description of design concept;
5) Photos of participants or groups (the resolution should be at least 300 dpi).
3. Qualification examination: the organizer will inspect all the submitted materials, for those which are incomplete, incorrect or unqualified will be deemed into invalid, and the organizer has the right to disqualify such participants from the competition.
Participants should select the space category carefully when submitting projects, if a participant cannot determine the category, he/she can confirm with the organizer. If the category is incorrect, the organizer has the right to deal with it according to its own decision (including but not limited to disqualify the participant).
4. Pay entry fee and obtain participation qualification.
1. Idea-Tops divisions organize the online selection of Shortlist Awards and Best Design Awards in its local areas. The selection is under the guidance and supervision of Idea-Tops Organizing Committee, and the results should be inspected by it.
2. Results of the Best Design Awards in the divisions will be submitted to the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee and participate in the selection of Nomination Awards.
3. The Idea-Tops Organizing Committee organizes the international final judging to select the Best Design Awards.
1. Participants need to pay entry fee, and all the fees will be used for the selection of awards, organization of activities, etc.
2. Standard of the entry fee is globally unified and set by the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee.
3. Whatever the result (including disqualification), the entry fee is not refundable.
Chapter IV. Judging
1. As a standing body of Idea-Tops, the Jury consists of senior experts, scholars, top architects and designers, celebrities in the global design field as well as financial experts, opinion leaders and influential media representatives who are invited by the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee.
2. Judges of the second review are domestic experts and scholars, and judges of the final review are international experts and scholars.
1. The Jury's responsibilities include: set judging rules and implementing measures, select annual judges, inspect the list of winners and so on. Every year, the Jury appoints several senior experts, scholars and relevant people in the field as the judges of the year, and issues certificates to them.
2. Under the guidance of the Jury, the judges evaluate and score the entries in different stages according to the judging rules, detailed regulations and their own tasks.
With the principles of being professional, rigorous, impartial and fair, Idea-Tops conducts the judging with high professional standard, professional responsibility and rigorous attitude, each of the judges should sign an oath to promise to comply with the contest rules and disciplines, respect each participant and their works, and evaluate all the entries in a fair manner.
1) Innovative design concept and method;
2) Creative technology and materials;
3) Original and exquisite expression of design art.
1) Ingenious function and creative application;
2) Reasonable arrangement of functions which focuses on users' needs;
3) Perfect combination of function, technology and environment.
1) Novel and original performance of art;
2) Excellent humanistic connotation, outstanding features of regional culture and art;
3) Perfect combination of art and engineering technology.
1) The entry creates and leads a green and ecological lifestyle;
2) The designer makes full use of green science and technology, combines environmental protection with innovative science and technology perfectly.
3) The designer understands and takes full advantage of geographical and environmental characteristics, establishes an environment-friendly living environment.
1. There're three judging processes, namely, first review, second review, final review. The first review is conducted by Idea-Tops divisions, while the second review and final review are conducted by the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee.
2. All the reviews are conducted through Idea-Tops online evaluation system and each entry is anonymous. From Shortlist Awards to Best Design Awards, every stage of the reviews shall be inspected.
3. Judges score the entries according to the judging criteria, if the judges hold different opinions on specific entries, chairman of the Jury should organize judges to reconsider these entries, and judges of the final review are required to write the reasons of granting awards.
Chapter V. Idea-Tops Division
To strengthen the publicity and promotion of Idea-Tops, discover new designers and designer works more widely, divisions can be set in the first-tier, second-tier and third-tier cities of China, and other regions all over the world. After being authorized by Idea-Tops, the divisions can engage in the competition affairs.
Idea-Tops Division is required by the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee to establish an Executive Committee which takes charge of planning the guiding different competition affairs. Members of the Executive Committee are famous designers, experts, scholars and celebrities in their own fields of architecture, design and real estate. All the positions are valid only when the members are appointed by the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee.
1. Idea-Tops divisions undertake the responsibilities of promotion, entry collection, entry evaluation and award presentation. The divisions select the Shortlist Awards and Best Design Awards in its local area. The evaluation mechanism should be made by the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee in a unified way.
2. The Best Design Awards of the divisions shall be submitted to the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee and participate in the evaluation of international awards.
3. Reviews of the divisions are managed directly by the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee which has the right to disqualify the judges if fraudulent practices are found. Results of the divisions can be released only after the approval of the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee.
Chapter VI. Award Presentation
1. Idea-Tops holds award ceremony after all the competition affairs are finished at the end of the year, and all the awards will be presented to the winners at the ceremony.
2. Certificates of Shortlist Awards, Nomination Awards and Best Design Awards of the divisions are delivered to each division by the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee, the divisions grant the certificates to the winners.
3. Idea-Tops divisions can organize award ceremony, but the activity scheme should be submitted to the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee and get its approval before the ceremony.
If it's officially confirmed that an award-winning work has violated the design right and intellectual property right of other's work, the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee has the right to take back the trophy and certificate, and announce the fact to the public.
Chapter VII. Award Promotion
1. Establish multi-language official website of Idea-Tops, and search for interlinking with important internet media. Create and operate WeChat official account and service account.
2. Idea-Tops can organize promotion tours around the world. Idea-Tops divisions can carry out promotional activities on the themes of academics and public welfare.
3. Combine various media to promote the award-winning designers through different forms, show the winning projects on official website of Idea-Tops permanently.
4. Idea-Tops can publish year book of winning projects which will be publicized widely.
Chapter VIII. Disclaimers and Confidential Items
1. The entries shall not have any intellectual property dispute or controversy, and the participant is responsible for all the issues about the protection of intellectual property of the entries, the Idea-Tops Organizing Committee does not undertake any responsibility.
2. The Idea-Tops Organizing Committee shall have the right to make use of the award-winning entries and participants' information to organize promotional activities that are related to the award, such as release award-winning information, publish year book, etc.
1. The Idea-Tops Organizing Committee manages all the information submitted by participants strictly.
2. The Idea-Tops Organizing Committee will not disclose any information about the participants before the judging, and only the winners' information will be released after the judging.
3. The Idea-Tops Organizing Committee reserves the right to the final interpretation of the above terms.